The Union County Library System is a great place to work, and we occasionally have opportunities for full or part-time employment. Current job openings are listed below by library location when available.
- Please click on the link below to obtain a copy of the Employment Application.
- Please complete this application, print, and sign it. Instructions on where and when to submit the application will be noted in the job description.
The Public Library for Union County
Full-time – 35 hours per week
Schedule – Monday- Friday, 9:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M.
$18,220 includes health, dental and vision insurance
Application deadline: June 28
Submit resume and 3 professional references to:
Public Library for Union County
255 Reitz Boulevard
Lewisburg, PA 17837
This position is responsible for administrative and patron aspects of the outreach program. The employee handles a variety of reader services for the older adult or home bound patrons, as well as delivery of homebound materials and community-based collections. Additionally, this position is responsible for providing courier service to the System libraries and prison; Library vehicles and recycling.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following list is representative of the typical duties and responsibilities performed. The employee’s actual duties and responsibilities may vary slightly depending on department needs and individual assignments.
- Mobile Outreach
- Assess needs and materials preferences of outreach patrons.
- Recommend materials for the outreach program.
- Develop and evaluate route schedule.
- Transport materials to and from the library van.
- Drive to stops on a timely basis.
- Ensure the vehicle is properly maintained both inside and out.
- Perform all circulation duties including due date cards, prepare library cards, overdue slips, long overdue reports, check in and check out of materials.
- Maintain statistics on a daily, monthly and yearly basis.
- Serve as the contact person to participate in community events.
- Interact with staff and older adults using the outreach service in person and through written communication.
- Develop and maintain contacts with agencies and groups serving older adults.
- Establish priorities for implementation of services, innovative ideas and solutions to problems.
- Community-Based Collections
- Assess needs and materials preferences for community-based collections.
- Develop community-based collections for agency locations.
- Sort and process donated items.
- Develop and maintain contacts with community-based agencies and groups.
- Delivers materials to agency locations on monthly basis within predetermined route and travel time.
- System Courier
- Drives weekly predetermined route to System libraries to ensure the safe delivery of books, office supplies, computer equipment, correspondence, and other materials.
- Monitors the maintenance of library delivery vans by routinely checking fluid levels, scheduling required maintenance and inspections
- Loads and unloads library crates and/or equipment.
- Places recyclable materials into single stream container.
- Continually identifies and puts forward suggestions for service improvement, reviews routes and procedures used, and puts forward recommendations for improving efficiencies.
Education and Experience
Must possess a high school diploma, possess proficient clerical skills, and basic business software. Knowledge of broad genres and reading materials is preferred. In addition, the employee must have a thorough grasp of the community profile including such knowledge as organizations, older adult services, public service agencies, etc. Must possess a valid PA driver’s license.
Must possess expressive patron-service skills. Ability to communicate effectively, an expression of patience, friendliness, courtesy, and a desire to help others. Basic organizational skills.
- Act 34 and Act 151 clearances
- FBI fingerprint clearance
- A valid Pennsylvania driver’s license
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform successfully the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to speak and hear at a conversational level, use hands to handle objects, stand or sit for long periods of time, lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, reach, stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee is frequently required to lift and/or move up to 60 pounds and traverse stairs.
Generally, duties are performed in a climate-controlled environment, but the employee is exposed to outside weather and uncomfortable fluctuations in temperature within the building. Travel between outreach stops and libraries is a necessity in all weather. Possible contact with pets.