The Union County Library System is a great place to work, and we occasionally have opportunities for full or part-time employment. Current job openings are listed below by library location when available.
- Please click on the link below to obtain a copy of the Employment Application.
- Please complete this application, print, and sign it. Instructions on where and when to submit the application will be noted in the job description.
The Public Library for Union County
20 hours per week/Tuesday 9:30 – 5, Wednesday 9:30 – 5, Thursday 9 – 5
$9.10 per hour
Position is responsible for all aspects of the Children’s Outreach program including the mobile service. Additionally, part of the employee’s time is utilized as a Library Assistant in the Children’s Department, and occasionally works at the circulation desk.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following list is representative of the typical duties and responsibilities performed. The employee’s actual duties and responsibilities may vary slightly depending on department needs and individual assignments.
- Develop and evaluate route schedule
- Transport materials to and from the library van
- Drive to stops on a timely basis
- Note/report issues with vehicle
- Select and weed all materials for outreach collection
- Prepare books for outreach use
- Recruit volunteers to apply sticker and stamps to outreach materials
- Independently handle check in and check out of outreach materials
- Maintain statistics on a daily, monthly and yearly basis
- Interact with staff and children using the outreach service in person and through written communication.
- Offer special themed programs
- Prepare and present story time programs at outreach sites
- Establish priorities for implementation of services, innovative ideas and solutions to problems
Education and Experience
Associates Degree required in Early Childhood Development or work with children in an education setting desired. Love working with children. Be able to demonstrate proficient clerical skills, have a working knowledge of personal computers. The employee must have a thorough grasp of the community profile including such knowledge as organizations, children’s services, public service agencies, etc.
Must possess expressive patron-service skills. These skills are generally defined as “people skills” and include the ability to communicate effectively, an expression of patience, friendliness and courteousness and a desire to help others. Basic organizational skills. Act 34 and Act 151 clearances. A valid Pennsylvania driver’s license
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to speak and hear at a conversational level, use hands to handle objects, stand or sit for long periods of time, lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, reach, stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee is frequently required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and traverse stairs. Occasionally, the employee is required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Generally, duties are performed in a climate-controlled environment, but the employee is exposed to outside weather and uncomfortable fluctuations in temperature within the building. Travel between outreach stops is a necessity in all weather.
Submit completed application to The Public Library for Union County, 255 Reitz Boulevard, Lewisburg, PA 17837. Open until filled.
Herr Memorial Library
Children’s Program Coordinator/Discover Teacher
Position Overview: The Children’s Program Coordinator will be responsible for planning and coordinating children’s programming to follow the library’s mission. This will include the planning and implementation of The Discover Program. The CPC will perform the duties of a Library Assistant as scheduled and needed, including on Saturday as it falls in the staffing rotation. The CPC will assist the Director as needed.
Essential Job Functions:
- Construct lesson plans using the Pennsylvania Standards of Education
- Create a schedule of themes for two semesters of Discover – One starting in the fall the other in January
- Plan a summer Discover with the Summer Reading Coordinator
- Find materials, prepare crafts and execute program
- Area Preschool Outreach
- Reading challenges for children
- Seuss birthday party – March
- PA One Book Program – April
- 2nd Grade Tours – May (Schedule in fall)
- Summer Reading Programs – Assist coordinator
- Kindergarten Sign Up Program – September
- Coordinates all special children’s events
- Help with Auction – October
- Christkindl – December
- Provide program information to UCLS Public Relations Assistant for adequate promoting/marketing
Non-essential Job Functions:
- Back up circulation duty as needed
- Work one evening on circulation desk and one Saturday in the staff rotation
- Assist Director as needed
- Criminal Record Check
- Child Abuse Check
- FBI Check
- Experience working with children
- 3 Continuing Education Credits / year
- Work well with others
- Be kind and courteous
- Love children
- Be organized
- Be reliable
Please submit cover letter and resume to: Library Director, Kelly Walter at 500 Market Street, Mifflinburg, PA 17844 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Open until filled. EOE