Current Library Services
Patrons have the option of placing online orders for pick-up in the library at the circulation desk or by requesting materials in-person at the circulation desk. In-person assistance allows a staff member to help patrons select books from the online catalog and then draw the books from the shelves while the patron waits.
Computers are available for use by appointment only. Please call ahead to schedule an appointment. Copy machines are also be available for use.
Any fines that occurred during our closure between March 16 and June 30 will be waived. The collection of overdue fines resumed after Wednesday, July 1.
The following guidelines have remained the same:
- Staff and Patrons are required to wear masks and practice social distancing.
- 30 item limit per library card account
- All items bagged in plastic for safety
- All items must be returned to the book drop. Staff cannot accept returns.
- Sign up for a library card at UnionCountyLibraries.org or pick up an application at the library.
- Assistance from Distance, remote technology support, is offered by our Technology Training Services Coordinator, Jeff Seebold. To make an appointment call Jeff at 570-884-4370, Monday – Friday between the hours 10 am-6 pm or email email@example.com
- Book donations will NOT be accepted at this time.
Hours of operations at each library will be as follows:
Herr Memorial Library:
Monday-Thursday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. and Saturday: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Closed Fridays and Sundays.
These hours are for the general public with the exception of 10 a.m. – 11 a.m. on Mondays for vulnerable populations.
Public Library for Union County:
Monday-Friday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. and Saturday: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
These hours are for the general public with the exception of 10 a.m. – 11 a.m. on Wednesdays and Saturdays for vulnerable populations.
West End Library:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. and Saturday: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Closed Wednesdays and Sundays.
These hours are for the general public with the exception of 10 a.m. – 11 a.m. on Fridays for vulnerable populations.
I want to order (borrow) an item. What should I do?
- Place a hold online or check out a book at the circulation desk with staff assistance.
- Expect delays due to limited staffing, high demand, and quarantined materials.
- PICK UP SERVICE ONLY – Wait for an email or phone notice confirming your item is ready for pickup.
How do I place a hold? (video tutorial)
- Call the library or
- Go to “My Account” and sign in using your library card number. Your pin number is the last 6 digits of your library card number. (Watch this video tutorial on how to use My Account)
- Search for a title or topic of interest.
- Click on the title you would like to borrow (place a hold on).
- Click the large orange button with the words “Place Hold.”
- Select a pickup location.
- Wait for an email or phone notice confirming your item is ready for pickup.
Can I access the collection?
At this time, only staff are permitted to pull books from the shelves.
My items are ready for pick up. What should I do?
- Visit the library during open hours.
- Enter the library and go to the circulation desk. Customers must wear a mask and keep a distance of 6 feet from people that may be in or around the library.
- Have your library card number ready to identify yourself to library staff
- Pick up bagged items.
I am unable to wear a mask due to medical reasons. May I still enter the building?
No. Please call the library upon arrival and a staff member will deliver your order to your vehicle.
How many items may I borrow?
At this time, patrons are limited to 30 items per library card account.
How long will my items be held for?
New material is held for 3 business days, and all other items are held for 7 business days
I have overdue fines. Do I need to pay them?
Any fines that occurred during the closure are waived. The collection of overdue fines will resume after Wednesday, July 1.
I returned my books. Why does my account still say they are overdue?
Once items are pulled from the dropbox, they are quarantined for 3 days and then checked in. It may be longer if an item needs to be transferred to its original library location.
Can I borrow books from other libraries?
Customers can borrow within the Union County Library System but not with other counties via Inter-Library Loans.
Where can I return my books?
All items must be returned in the book drop. Staff cannot accept returns.
Are you accepting book donations?
Book donations will NOT be accepted at this time. Please keep your donations or take them to the HandUp Foundation in Milton.
How do I access a computer?
Patrons must schedule an appointment for a 30-minute time slot by calling the library. Computers stations are spaced at least 6 feet apart and cleaned after each use. All ages will have access to computers.
Who can help me with my computer or device?
Assistance from a Distance, remote technology support, is offered by Technology Training Services Coordinator, Jeff Seebold. To make an appointment call Jeff at 570-884-4370, Monday – Friday between the hours 10 am-6 pm or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For general questions, call the library or “Submit a Question” under the “Contact Us” tab at UnionCountyLibraries.org
Library customers are encouraged to visit UnionCountyLibraries.org for unlimited 24/7 access to eBooks, audiobooks, comics, movies, TV, research databases and more materials for all ages.