Below is a list of questions and answers. If you do not find what you are looking for, please call or visit the library.
System and Locations
What is the Union County Library System?
- The Public Library for Union County in Lewisburg, the Herr Memorial Library in Mifflinburg, and the West End Library in Laurelton are the three independent members of the federated Union County Library System (UCLS) that was created in 1998 when the Union County (PA) Commissioners enacted a county-wide tax to support it. The Public Library for Union County was designated as the system’s headquarters, and the director of that library also serves as the system administrator.
Where are the libraries located?
- The Public Library for Union County: 255 Reitz Boulevard, Lewisburg, PA 17837
- Herr Memorial Library: 500 Market Street, Mifflinburg, PA 17844
- West End Library: 45 Ball Park Road, Laurelton, PA 17835
What hours are the libraries open?
- The Public Library for Union County: Mon, Tues, Thurs 9:30 am to 8:30 pm; Wed, Fri, Sat 9:30 am to 5:00 pm; Sun Closed
- Herr Memorial Library: Mon & Tues 12:00 pm to 8:00 pm; Wed & Sat 10:00 am to 5:00 pm; Thurs 10:00 am to 8:00 pm; Fri & Sun Closed
- West End Library: Mon, Thurs 11:00 am to 8:00 pm; Tues, Fri 9:00 am to 6:00 pm; Sat 9:00 am to 6:00 pm; Wed, Sun Closed
What are the holiday closings?
The libraries are closed for the following holidays: New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day
Library Card & Online Accounts
What do I need to get a library card?
- Completed Library Card Registration Form (link to download form)
- Identification with current address (example: Driver’s License, Mail, Bill)
- If under the age of 18, bring a parent to review Internet usage guidelines
- Visit the Get a Card page for additional information
Where can I use my library card?
- A Union County Library System library card can be used at any of the three libraries in the system: The Public Library for Union County, Herr Memorial Library and West End Library
Why do I have to bring my library card every time I visit the library?
- All three libraries require cardholders to present their UCLS cards when they borrow materials so that the materials will be checked out to the proper account. There are many Union County residents who have the same name or similar names, and by asking to scan your card library staff members are making sure that your account remains secure.
What is my library card pin number?
- The default library card pin number is the last 6 digits of your library card number. To change your library pin number, log into the catalog and click on the button “Change Library Pin”
I cannot remember my library pin, how can I change it?
- If you are unable to remember your library pin, visit any of the three libraries with your library card to have your account reset.
How often will my library card expire and how do I renew it?
- The library cards expire every 3 years. To renew your library card, visit the library to have your card renewed.
What if I misplace my library card?
- Contact the library immediately to notify them of your lost or stolen card. A new card will be issued and there is a $1.00 replacement fee.
How can I receive email notices?
- To receive email notices, you can log into your online account and under ‘Edit Contact Info’ enter your email address and PIN number and hit ‘Save’. You can also visit the library’s circulation desk and have a library staff member enter your email address.
Can I pay my fines/fees online?
- At this time the libraries are unable to receive fines/fees online.
How long can I keep library materials?
- Books are loaned for 2 weeks, Audiobooks & Music CDs are loaned for 2 weeks, New Adult Fiction are loaned for 7 days, DVD are loaned for 7 days, eBooks (eBranch2Go/Overdrive) are loaned for 7, 14 or 21 days depending on the ebook, Teacher/Vacation can get an extended loan for up to 6 weeks
How do I renew library materials?
- There are two ways to renew library materials: by phone during library hours, online 24/7 under My Account. Items can be renewed twice: one renewal for 7-day items, DVD, Discover Packs/Baby Busy Boxes. Items cannot be renewed if a hold is placed on the title.
Where can I return my materials?
- Materials can be returned in available dropboxes outside the library. Please note there is a dropbox for books and one for audiovisual materials. Materials can also be returned inside the library at the circulation desk.
Is there a limit to the number of items I may have checked out at once?
- There is no limit to the number of items that can be checked out at one time.
Is there a limit to the number of holds I can place?
- There is no limit to the number of holds a person can place. Holds can be placed by library staff or from your home computer using the library’s website.
What if I keep my library materials beyond the due date?
- A late fee is applied to your account if materials are held beyond the due date. DVDs/Audiobooks/Discovery Packs incur$1.00 late fee per day. All other materials incur $.20 per date late fee.
What if I lose or damage library materials?
- An invoice will be issued for lost or damaged library materials.
Library Services & Programs
Do you have public computers I can use?
- The library has public computers for public use. See the circulation desk for access to the public computers.
Is wireless internet access available?
- There is free wireless internet access available at the library. To access the wireless internet, open internet settings on your mobile device and look for the WiFi name UnionCtyLibraryGuest.
Do you have fax machine?
- The library has a fax machine. The cost to fax a page is $1.00.
Do you have copy machines?
- The library has a copy machine. The cost to copy a page is $.40.
I want to register for a library program. How do I do that?
- To register for a library program, call the library via phone, stop in and visit the circulation desk or some programs allow for online registration. To register online go to UnionCountyLibraries.org, scroll to the ‘What’s Happening’ section and click on ‘View all events’ to go to the calendar. Find the program/event on the calendar and click Register Online.
I am having trouble downloading an ebook/audiobook. What should I do?
- Free tech assistance is available at all three library locations. For help download an eBook/audiobook or other tech questions, call or visit the library and make an appointment with Jeff Seebold, Technology Training Services Coordinator.
Does the library accept donated materials?
- The library does accept donated materials with the following exceptions; soiled, wet, torn or odorous materials; readers digest condensed books; encyclopedias, medical books and textbooks older than 5 years; VHS tapes and cassette tapes; magazines and newspapers; puzzles
Does the library have a used book sale?
- The Public Library for Union County: 2 used book sales per year: one in the Summer (July) and one in the Fall (November).
- Herr Memorial Library: 1 used book sale per year
- West End Library: 1 used book sale per year
What if my local library does not have the book or other material I want?
- The Interlibrary Loan service provides library card holders with materials not found in any of the collections of the three libraries in the Union County Library System. Requests are placed electronically through the Access Pennsylvania Database, a union catalog that includes the holdings of more than 2,000 Pennsylvania school, public, academic and special libraries. This database contains approximately 8.1 million titles and over 37.6 million items. For help making a request, visit any of the three Union County Library system libraries.
How do I request that the library purchase a certain book, audiobook, CD, DVD, etc.?
- Visit the library and fill out a request slip located at the circulation desk.
Are you accepting volunteers?
- Volunteer opportunities are open to all, including teens and people with disabilities.
- To view current Volunteer opportunities and to fill our an application form visit the Volunteers page.
Can I subscribe to a library newsletter/event notice?
- To subscribe to the library newsletter or receive event notices visit the Subscribe page
What forms of payment does the library accept?
- The library accepts cash, check and credit card is accepted at the Public Library for Union County location.