Below is a list of questions and answers. If you do not find what you are looking for, please call or visit the library.
System and Locations
- The Union County Library System, established in 1997 by the Union County (PA) Commissioners, coordinates free public library services to the residents of Union County through three independent libraries: Herr Memorial Library, The Public Library for Union County, and West End Library. Each library, governed by a board of trustees, is responsible for its own budget, building, collection, programs, staffing and fundraising efforts.
The Union County Library System:
-Provides software for check-in/check-out functions
-Creates electronic records of library materials
-Shares materials via inter-library delivery
-Subscribes to online databases
-Establishes borrowing policies
-Offers technology troubleshooting and training
-Markets library programs and services
-Provides broadband access
-Ensures compliance with state standards and reporting
- The Public Library for Union County: 255 Reitz Boulevard, Lewisburg, PA 17837
- Herr Memorial Library: 500 Market Street, Mifflinburg, PA 17844
- West End Library: 45 Ball Park Road, Laurelton, PA 17835
Herr Memorial Library: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 10 a.m. 2 p.m. Saturday to the general public with the exception of 10 a.m. – 11 a.m. on Mondays for vulnerable populations. Closed Fridays and Sundays.
Public Library for Union County: 10 a.m.- 6 p.m. Monday-Friday and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday to the general public with the exception of 10 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. on Wednesdays and Saturdays for vulnerable populations. Closed Sundays.
West End Library: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Saturday with the exception of 10 a.m. – 11 a.m. on Fridays for vulnerable populations. Closed Wednesday and Sunday.
Library Card & Online Accounts
- Completed Library Card Registration Form (link to download form)
- Identification with current address (example: Driver’s License, Mail, Bill)
- If under the age of 18, bring a parent to review Internet usage guidelines
- Visit the Get a Card page for additional information
- A Union County Library System library card can be used at any of the three libraries in the system: The Public Library for Union County, Herr Memorial Library and West End Library
- All three libraries require cardholders to present their UCLS cards when they borrow materials so that the materials will be checked out to the proper account. There are many Union County residents who have the same name or similar names, and by asking to scan your card library staff members are making sure that your account remains secure.
- The default library card pin number is the last 6 digits of your library card number. To change your library pin number, log into the catalog and click on the button “Change Library Pin”
- If you are unable to remember your library pin, visit any of the three libraries with your library card to have your account reset.
- The library cards expire every 3 years. To renew your library card, visit the library to have your card renewed.
- Contact the library immediately to notify them of your lost or stolen card. A new card will be issued and there is a $1.00 replacement fee.
- To receive email notices, you can log into your online account and under ‘Edit Contact Info’ enter your email address and PIN number and hit ‘Save’. You can also visit the library’s circulation desk and have a library staff member enter your email address.
- At this time the libraries are unable to receive fines/fees online.
- Books are loaned for 2 weeks, Audiobooks & Music CDs are loaned for 2 weeks, New Adult Fiction are loaned for 7 days, DVD are loaned for 7 days, eBooks (eBranch2Go/Overdrive) are loaned for 7, 14 or 21 days depending on the ebook, Teacher/Vacation can get an extended loan for up to 6 weeks
- There are two ways to renew library materials: by phone during library hours, online 24/7 under My Account. Items can be renewed twice: one renewal for 7-day items, DVD, Discover Packs/Baby Busy Boxes. Items cannot be renewed if a hold is placed on the title.
- Materials can be returned in available dropboxes outside the library. Please note there is a dropbox for books and one for audiovisual materials. Materials can also be returned inside the library at the circulation desk.
- There is no limit to the number of items that can be checked out at one time.
- There is no limit to the number of holds a person can place. Holds can be placed by library staff or from your home computer using the library’s website.
- A late fee is applied to your account if materials are held beyond the due date. DVDs/Audiobooks/Discovery Packs incur$1.00 late fee per day. All other materials incur $.20 per date late fee.
- An invoice will be issued for lost or damaged library materials.
Library Services & Programs
- The library has public computers for public use. See the circulation desk for access to the public computers.
- There is free wireless internet access available at the library. To access the wireless internet, open internet settings on your mobile device and look for the WiFi name UnionCtyLibraryGuest.
- The library has a fax machine. The cost to fax a page is $1.00.
- The library has a copy machine. The cost to copy a page is $.40.
- To register for a library program, call the library via phone, stop in and visit the circulation desk or some programs allow for online registration. To register online go to UnionCountyLibraries.org, scroll to the ‘What’s Happening’ section and click on ‘View all events’ to go to the calendar. Find the program/event on the calendar and click Register Online.
- Free tech assistance is available at all three library locations. For help download an eBook/audiobook or other tech questions, call or visit the library and make an appointment with Jeff Seebold, Technology Training Services Coordinator.
- The library does accept donated materials with the following exceptions; soiled, wet, torn or odorous materials; readers digest condensed books; encyclopedias, medical books and textbooks older than 5 years; VHS tapes and cassette tapes; magazines and newspapers; puzzles
- The Public Library for Union County: 2 used book sales per year: one in the Summer (July) and one in the Fall (November).
- Herr Memorial Library: 1 used book sale per year
- West End Library: 1 used book sale per year
- The Interlibrary Loan service provides library card holders with materials not found in any of the collections of the three libraries in the Union County Library System. Requests are placed electronically through the Access Pennsylvania Database, a union catalog that includes the holdings of more than 2,000 Pennsylvania school, public, academic and special libraries. This database contains approximately 8.1 million titles and over 37.6 million items. For help making a request, visit any of the three Union County Library system libraries.
- Visit the library and fill out a request slip located at the circulation desk.
- Volunteer opportunities are open to all, including teens and people with disabilities.
- To view current Volunteer opportunities and to fill our an application form visit the Volunteers page.
- To subscribe to the library newsletter or receive event notices visit the Subscribe page
- The library accepts cash, check and credit card is accepted at the Public Library for Union County location.