Volunteer at the library! Volunteer opportunities are open to all ages and abilities. Needs range from event planning to grounds maintenance to reshelving books. The Union County Library System will review your application, and if there are possible matches with available volunteer opportunities, the library will invite you to attend an information session.
How can I become a volunteer?
- Review library locations and hours
- Download and complete a Volunteer Application
- Mail completed applications to:
Union County Library System
255 Reitz Boulevard
Lewisburg, PA 17837
Public Library for Union County
Book Sale Assistant
To assist Book Sale Committee with set-up for annual July book sale
- Move packed boxes of donated books from library basement to truck for transport to book sale
- Unload boxes of books from truck and move into book sale location as directed by Book Sale Committee volunteers
- Ability to lift 25 pounds and traverse stairs
- Ability to bend, crouch and kneel
- Availability during July set-up dates
2 to 3 hour time period between 8 am and 3 pm on July 17 and July 18
To assist with shelving the materials from the children’s area correctly
- Shelve books correctly
- Shift books if needed
- Reorder books if not correctly shelved
- Ability to alphabetize books according to the collection specification and shelve correctly
- Ability to bend and reach
- Shift books if shelf is too tight
1 to 2 hour time period once or twice per week during the hours of 9:30 A.M. and 5 P.M.
Interlibrary Loan Packager
To securely package outgoing interlibrary loan items
- Open and sort the incoming ILL mail for further processing
- Package US Mail shipments for outgoing ILL materials
- Neatly maintain supplies necessary for ILL processing
- Excellent attention to detail
- Able to follow oral and written directions
- Able to work independently
- Ability to work neatly and precisely with patience
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
1 to 2 hour time period once or twice per week during the hours of 12 and 5 P.M.
Bucknell College Students: The Public Library for Union County is an approved work-study site!