Volunteer at the library! Volunteer opportunities are open to all ages and abilities. Needs range from event planning to grounds maintenance to re-shelving books. The Union County Library System will review your application, and if there are possible matches with available volunteer opportunities, the library will invite you to attend an information session.
How can I become a volunteer?
- Review library locations and hours
- Download and complete a Volunteer Application
- Mail completed applications to:
Union County Library System
255 Reitz Boulevard
Lewisburg, PA 17837
Public Library for Union County
Library Auction Committee Volunteer
Be part of the team who assists with the Public Library for Union County’s Annual Auction event and seeks donations of silent auction items. This year’s event is scheduled for Saturday, March 14th from 5 to 10 p.m. at the Elaine Langone Center on the campus of Bucknell University.
- Participate in securing auction donations from the local business community
- Make arrangements for delivering donated items to the library
- Assist with the promotion of the event to friends, family and other connections
- Assist with event logistics as needed, including set-up and teardown on the Friday before and Saturday of the event
- Sell raffle tickets
- Represent the library in the community
- Ability to attend Auction Committee meetings – January thru March
- Ability to attend post-event wrap-up meeting – March/April
- Good communication and organizational skills
- Maintain confidentiality regarding donors and donated items
Contact: Roberta Greene, 570-523-1172 or firstname.lastname@example.org by January 10, 2020
Book Sale Assistant
To assist Book Sale Committee with set-up for annual July book sale
- Move packed boxes of donated books from library basement to truck for transport to book sale
- Unload boxes of books from truck and move into book sale location as directed by Book Sale Committee volunteers
- Ability to lift 25 pounds and traverse stairs
- Ability to bend, crouch and kneel
- Availability during July set-up dates
2 to 3 hour time period between 8 am and 3 pm on July 17 and July 18
To assist with shelving the materials from the children’s area correctly
- Shelve books correctly
- Shift books if needed
- Reorder books if not correctly shelved
- Ability to alphabetize books according to the collection specification and shelve correctly
- Ability to bend and reach
- Shift books if shelf is too tight
1 to 2 hour time period once or twice per week during the hours of 9:30 A.M. and 5 P.M.
Bucknell College Students: The Public Library for Union County is an approved work-study site!